At some point, we have all encountered a computer error that leaves us scratching our heads. The “The system cannot find any bootable devices” message is one of the most common errors that individuals encounter when attempting to start their laptop or desktop which can be incredibly frustrating. Fortunately, there is no need to panic as it’s often quite easy to resolve this issue quickly and get back online in no time. In this blog, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to fix the “no bootable devices found” error by following five simple steps with easy instructions. Read on for more information and say goodbye to your tech woes!
What does “No Bootable Devices Found on Windows 10” mean?
If you are getting an error message “no bootable devices found” depicting that your system is unable to find a bootable device, then you must resolve it in time, as it can get worse if not fixed on time. But what does it mean? So, it simply implies that your device is having trouble while opening in order to get signals from the booting devices. Well, booting devices are the hardware required to start your computer. If you have just upgraded the hard drive or CD-ROM drive recently, you are more likely to face the error as your system would be unable to work with these drives and can’t find the essential files which help in starting up your PC.
What Causes “The System Cannot Find Any Bootable Devices”?
Various things can be responsible for your system showing the ‘no boot device found’ error. However, a better understanding of the cause will help you to resolve the error better. Hence, let’s see what the possible reasons for the error are.
- The installed bootable device is not findable.
- The boot order is not correct.
- Having multiple hard drives
- A disconnected bootable
- BIOS or CMOS settings may be incorrect.
- Damage or corruption in your booting device
Now, you are fully aware of the cause. You can simply diagnose the cause and start with the fixing troubleshooters present in the further section.
Troubleshooters To Fix “No Bootable Devices Found”
There are a total of 5 possible solutions that we have brought for you. This can fix the pesky error of “no bootable device windows 10” by setting back the boot drive and by repairing the bootloader. Let’s check the easy steps for doing all the fixes.
1. Setting The Hard Drive as The Boot Device
One of the significant causes of the error “no bootable devices found” is the hard drive issues. So you must look into fixing the hard drive issues if you have multiple hard drives injected into your computer. Then you must set a single hard drive for your PC to load. This way, you can make your PC’s overall performance smoother or can eliminate the error. Let’s check the steps that can help you to set the hard drive as the main booting device.
- You need to restart your computer first.
- And while it is restarting, press the key “ESC” to get into BIOS settings.
- Here, you can see five tabs. Select the “boot” tab.
- You can see a boot order list where you need to put the hard drive.
- Press F10 to save the change. And let your computer start.
After doing the above steps, you must try opening your system and see if the error has been eliminated or not. If you are still facing the error, then you must try another method to fix it.
2. Fix The Corrupted Master Boot Record
Maybe you have a corrupted master boot record. Thus, you will need to fix it within a few steps. It can simply cause an error and lead you to worse problems in the future if not fixed on time. Let’s get into the steps for fixing a corrupted MBR.
- First, you will need to inject windows installation media into your computer.
- Follow the on-screen wizards, asking for the language preference and the region.
- Here you can see the option “repair your computer” click it. Click the install now option.
- Click troubleshoot and open the command prompt in advanced settings.
- Now, you can see the command prompt has shown up. Type out the following command in it. Make sure you press enter after every command.
bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /scanos bootrec /rebuildbcd
Here, you must note that if your computer is asking for a new installation, then you must press Y on it. If you are done with the above steps, you must be able to eliminate the error saying “windows 10 no bootable device”.
3. Use System File Checker
You can use the system file checker tool to know what file is exactly corrupted and causing errors. Before doing the test, you just check your hard drive is perfectly connected to your device. Then only you can do the test properly. Since your PC is not working thus, you will need to use the window installation media so that you can run your PC. Let’s check the steps to know what you can do to resolve the error “boot device not found”.
- Insert your Window installation media into your device and start your computer.
- Press ESC to open the BIOS setting, enter the boot tab, and put the hard drive first in the order list.
- After changing the BIOS setting, you must save the changes and let your computer start again.
- Press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt on your PC.
- Type DiskPart in the prompt & then type list volume.
- Here you can see the whole list of the drivers connected to your PC. Know your dive letter from here.
- Type exit DiskPart and enter the next command written below.
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=D:\Windows
- You must replace the concern letter as per your PC.
- Now, SFC will start to repair the corrupted files themselves. You must close the tab when the process is done.
After doing the above steps, you must check your system by opening it without windows installation media. See if the error “no boot device found” has been eliminated.
4. Check the Cabling of Your Device
If the above methods don’t perform a perfect fix for your problem of “no bootable devices found”, then there must be another problem that you need to investigate. The other possible and common cause for the problem is improper cabling and the presence of dust and debris in your CPU. Thus, you must perform a clean check of your system and also try to fix the cabling error, if any.
If you have loose cabling, then it may cause a hassle in transferring the signals to your PC; thus, you must reconnect it correctly. If this does not give a good result, you must replace the cable with the newer one.
While doing so, you must check if there is any dirt and debris in your CPU. You can open the front frame of your CPU and clean the dust with a soft brush and soft force. After doing so, restart your system and check if it has started working correctly.
5. Maintaining a Windows 10 Installation
Maintenance has always been too essential for the smooth running of your device, from updated drivers to upgrade hard drives. You must maintain your system up to date. This way, you can manage unwanted opening errors and other things on your PC.
In addition, if you have a corrupted or broken drive, then you must replace the drive. It will take some investment but can give you better results. However, you can go for resetting the window option too. Resetting Windows can cost your data. Thus, you must have a backup of your data first & then go for the reset option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What does the boot device not found mean?
This is an error that comes when you open your PC and your PC is facing some hassles with the hard disk. The common reason for this error is when your hard drive doesn’t support the boot system of your device.
Q2. How to fix the boot device not found?
There are various ways through which you can perform a fix for “no boot device found” error. You can try the above methods to rectify the errors. However, you can reset your windows, and also you can perform a cabling check for better results.
Q3. How do I activate my boot device?
Finding the bot device is quite easy. You can just restart your computer, & while the screen is blank, press key F10 on our keyboard to enter the BIOS setting, and here you can see the boot settings option. Follow the on=screen wizards and find your boot device.
If you were too facing the “no bootable devices found” error while opening the device, then you must have panicked at first & then became frustrated in resolving it. However, we have brought you five ways to resolve the error in easy steps. You can choose any of the methods above and try next if one is not working for you. If you have any queries or suggestions in your head, then you can come back to us anytime.