We are living in an era where technology is at its peak. A few years back, people did not know that they could carry data of up to 1 TB in a small key-like device. But here we are, with a USB flash drive, carrying huge data in a device that is smaller than our fingers. Many brands like Samsung, SanDisk, Sony, and Toshiba make pen drives.
If you want to know what a USB flash drive is, which is the best USB flash drive, and what you should consider while buying then you are at the right place. In this article, we will tell you about USB flash drives and later we will suggest some of the best flash drives that you can buy.
What is a USB Flash Drive?
SanDisk 256GB Ultra Dual Drive USB
Memory Storage: 256 GB
Hardware Interface: USB 3.0
SanDisk 512GB Ultra USB
Memory Storage: 512 GB
Hardware Interface: USB 3.0, USB 2.0
Kingston 128GB Data Traveler SE9 G2 USB
Memory Storage: 128 GB
Hardware Interface: USB 2.0
Also known as Pen Drive or flash drive, it is a data storage device. If you want to carry your computer’s data then you can just simply save that data in your this drive and carry it around. You can store pictures, movies, songs, videos, documents, files, and everything in a pen drive.
To store data in a flash drive, you need to insert it into your computer’s port. It will show as a removable drive. You can transfer your computer’s data to your pen drive with the simple Cut Paste or Copy Paste process, and you are ready to carry your data with you. After transferring the data, you can eject the pen drive.
Most drives are rewritable. They use flash memory technology to store data. As compared to other storage devices like floppy disks and optical disk drives, USB flash drives are faster and can store more data.
In 2000, flash drives came to the market for the first time. At that time they could only store 8 MB of data. Later with the advancement of technology, the data storage capacity of USB drives kept increasing and now they can store data of up to 1 TB. Companies are still working on it and in the future, the capacity of flash drives can be expected to be 2 TB.
Best USB Flash Drives For You
Now that you know what a pen drive is and how it works, let’s find out some of the best USB flash drives. In this section, we are going to compare flash drives of different brands and provide you with their pros and cons so that you can figure out which is the best for you.
1. SanDisk 256GB Ultra Dual Drive USB Type-C, USB 3.1 – SDDDC2-256G-G46
This USB flash drive is specially made for type C devices. Do you know what is the best part of SanDisk 256GB Ultra Dual Drive USB? So you can use it to transfer files from your smartphone and tablet as well. Don’t worry, it has the normal port as well so you can use it on your computer as well. This pen drive is best known for its speed. It has a read speed of up to 150MB/second.
- You can use this device on your phone and tablet as well because it has a type C port.
- This device provides the best speed and can read up to 150MB/Second.
- According to some users, the size of the ports is not appropriate and they need to apply pressure to insert the device into the computer or phone port.
2. SanDisk 512GB Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive – SDCZ48-512G-G46
When it comes to USB flash drives, SanDisk is one of the most trusted brands, not only in America but worldwide. It can provide a read speed of up to 130MB/second. It provides an option for password protection and secure file encryption. SanDisk 512GB Ultra USB flash drive is compatible with USB 2.0.
- Provides a read speed of up to 150MB/second.
- 10 times faster than the standard USB 2.0 flash drive.
- Depending on the device, its performance can decrease.
3. Kingston 128GB Data Traveler SE9 G2 USB 3.0 (DTSE9G2/128GB)
The design of this drive is its main attraction. It comes with a stylish capless design so there are no chances of losing the cap. This device can store data of up to 128GB just like the best SSD cards‘ prime storage. It comes with a five-year warranty and customer support and technical support from Kingston. Kingston 128GB Data Traveler SE9 G2 has a metal case.
- Metal case and a stylish design.
- Comes with a five-year warranty and technical support.
- It is not as fast as the other competitors.
4. Samsung BAR Plus 256GB – 400MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-256BE4/AM)
Do you know what is the best thing about this flash drive? Its speed. It can transfer files at a speed of up to 400MB/second. It has a metal case which increases its durability. This drive can operate in temperatures from 0-60 degrees. It is made with V-NAND technology so it enhances its read and write capacity.
- Transfer files at a speed of up to 400MB/second.
- Made with Samsung’s special V-NAND technology.
- According to some users, its writing speed is not that fast.
5. HP 256GB x900w USB 3.0 Flash Drive
HP’s USB 3.0 technology allows 10 times faster transfer as compared to USB 2.0. It has a lightweight and durable design. This drive can easily store high-resolution pictures and videos and big files. Coming with a capless design, it is compatible with computers and MacBooks that have USB 3.0 ports.
- Capless design, so no worries about losing the cap.
- Allows 10 times faster transfer as compared to USB 2.0
- As its memory starts filling, its writing speed decreases.
6. Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB – 400MG/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive
This Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB can transfer files at a speed of up to 300MB/second. It is a very small, lightweight, and seamless drive that comes with a keyring so that you do not lose it. It comes with a five-year warranty as well. Moreover, Samsung has made this drive with its V-NAND technology.
- Transfer files at a speed of up to 300MB/second.
- Comes with a five-year warranty.
- Though the brand claims that it provides a speed of 400MB/second, according to the users it only provides a speed of 300MB/second.
USB flash drives are great. You can store your huge files, documents, pictures, videos, and movies in it and carry them around and have access to them anytime. Here we have provided you with the options of some of the best USB flash drives, you can choose any of them if you are willing to buy this device.
Before buying a flash drive, you should always consider a few points, what is its capacity, its manufacturing brand, and the read, write and transfer speed it provides. Lastly, you should always go for trusted brands like Samsung and SanDisk. Before buying any particular drive, you should always check its ratings and reviews so that you put your money on the right thing only.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: What is the most reliable brand of flash drive?
There are many brands like Samsung, SanDisk, Seagate, Sony, and Toshiba that make pen drives. But, if you want to buy the best USB flash drive then you can go for either SanDisk or Samsung. These two are the most reliable and trustable brands.
Q2: How do I choose a flash drive?
Before buying a flash drive, you should do your own research. After all, you are putting your money into it and more importantly, you are going to store your important data in it which you cannot afford to lose. So before buying this device, you should consider things like its storage capacity, how many times you can rewrite it, and its cost. Last but not the least, you should always check the customers’ ratings and reviews of the brand and the flash drive that you are going to buy.
Q3: How long does a flash drive last?
The life of a USB flash drive depends on two things:
- The number of times you rewrite it.
- The brand and quality of the pen drive.
The more you rewrite the drive, so its life decreases. Different brands provide different rewritable capacities. 100,000 is the most common rewritable capacity for Single Level Memory (SLM) USB flash drives.